Coimbra is the largest city in the central region of Portugal and capital of the District of Coimbra. Is a City University, historically called the “City of Knowledge” or “Student City”, because of the University of Coimbra, one of the largest universities of Portugal, which was founded in 1290 by King Dinis. Coimbra is the capital of a municipality divided into 18 civil parishes. The city and the municipality are crossed by the river Mondego from the Serra da Estrela mountains, East-West, being the main geographical characteristic of its territory. It is considered one of the most important Portuguese cities, due to infrastructure, organisations and companies based there, in addition to its historical importance and privileged geographical position in the Centre of continental Portugal, between the cities of Lisbon and Porto. At service level offered, it’s above all in education and health that the city gets greater notoriety. Coimbra was National Capital of culture in 2003, one of the oldest cities in the country, which was the capital of Portugal before Lisbon, and presents as main Ex-Libris its University, one of the oldest universities still in operation in the world. The University of Coimbra has approximately 20 000 students, covering one of the largest communities of international students in Portugal, being its more cosmopolitan University. In addition, was the Member-creator of the Coimbra Group, a network of European universities whose goal is the academic collaboration between them. On 22 June 2013 was declared a World Heritage site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The Romans called the city, which stood in a hill over the River Mondego, Aeminium. Later, with increasing its importance, became the seat of the Diocese, replacing the Roman city of Conímbriga, whence he derived its new name. In 711 the Moors arrived in the Iberian Peninsula and the city changes its name to Kulūmriyya, making it an important trading post between the Christian North and the Arabian South. In 871 becomes County of Coimbra but only in 1064 the city is definitely reconquered by Ferdinand “the Great” of León.
WHERE TO STAY